Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My talk about Mom

I didn't write down much of my talk, so I don't know how much I can remember but here goes.

If you look at the scripture on the front of the program, you have a perfect description of my mother. My sisters said I had to say more than that so here goes. Charity was not an abstract thought for Mom, it was here way of living. Numerous people have shared how she would offer them love , shelter, food and friendship. Mom often found the best in people. Including me--as a child and an adult I have often struggled with self-worth but my mom always found the best in me and encouraged me and helped me be a better person. My mother gave us another gift, she loved life and recently we had a conversation about her dying she said when we were sad we just think of a fun time or memory and smile or laugh--how can we not remember and do that--like when we think of her leaving the car running in Mountain View all through church, or the zest she had when intertubing with the grandkids, one of my favorites is when Colleen and I visited Mom and Dad in Hawaii--and I can see Colleen and Mom out in the waves laughing and having fun.
Another wonderful gift I have been given is to have parents that truly loved and respected each other for 59 years. They enjoyed each other and liked to spend time in each others company-what a priceless gift.
I am thankful that I know my Mother is reunited with her parents and brother and others that have loved her and I look forward to day that we are reunited.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks beck, you forgot the waterfall comment, I liked that because it was so her!!
you're awesome

Brita Graham said...

I can't seem to find my talk anywhere. I think it may have gotten lost or thrown away on the way home, but I will try to recreate it soon, while things are still in my memory.